Saturday, December 28, 2013

PROTEIN protein PROTEIN!

As I continue to train my body for my 5k along the way, I am learning about foods that fuel the body. What to eat, how much to eat, and why it is good for me. Here's what I've learned so far.

Protein
Protein forms the structure of cells to build and repair tissue, and it’s needed to make substances that determine your overall health, such as hormones, enzymes and hemoglobin.
This means that when you eat foods containing protein, your body digest them, turning the protein food into individual amino acids. Your body uses these amino acids to rebuild the specific protein it needs. This is why eating a proper daily supply of protein is so critical because your body doesn't store amino acids. 

I have been reading that when you are training it is highly recommended to eat more protein than a couch potato would. 


How to calculate Protein intake amounts:
Varying from women to men, a person should consume 1.2 - 2 grams of protein for every 2.2 pounds they weigh.

For Example:
I weigh 136.8 lbs. dividing that by 2.2 lbs. equals 62.18 

Now multiply 62.18 by 1.2 grams of protein equaling out to 74.6

I will round this for easier tracking.

My daily target intake of protein per my body weight will be = 75 grams of protein.
__________

Now, this information is great and you may be excited to start eating more protein but before you do make sure you understand where your protein is coming from. Make sure you are not intaking massive amounts of calories, fats or carbs just because you found a food product with protein. Balancing all areas from calories, fats, and carbs is tricky, but definitely a possibility and worth it. Also you need to make sure to spread out your protein intake throughout the day. Constantly refueling your body, allowing it to create amino acids. 

___________


Here is a veggie chart of the best protein veggies. 




Here is a meat, plant and dairy chart:


Have fun and Good luck eating more protein for your personal training!
I am enjoying the bigger amounts of protein and feel I am benefiting by having more energy. : )
Coming soon, I will be adding more protein packed recipes to my Cook Blog! Stay tuned!

Spread the Running Joy!
~Maddie J.

No comments:

Post a Comment